Place:


Donegal  County Donegal

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Donegal like this:

Donegal, capital of co., seaport, and par., Donegal, at mouth of river Eask, on Donegal Bay, 3 miles from Druminin ry. sta., 14 N. of Ballyshannon, and 157 NW. of Dublin -- par., 22,791 ac., pop. 4767; town, pop. 1416; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Part of the town is situated in Killymard par. Grain, butter, and eggs are exported. Vessels of 300 tons can discharge their cargoes at the quay. There are interesting ruins of a castle and a monastery. A spa in the neighbourhood is frequented for its waters.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Donegal, in and County Donegal | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/30162

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Donegal".