Place:


Dun Laoghaire  County Dublin

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dun Laoghaire like this:

Kingstown.-- seaport town and township with ry. sta., Monkstown par., in co. and 6 miles SE. of Dublin, 1463 ac., pop. 18,586; 2 Banks. Kingston is beautifully situated on S. side of Dublin Bay. It was formerly called Dunleary, and received its present name from the circumstance of King George IV. ...


embarking here for England after his visit to Ireland in 1821. At one time a mere fishing vil., Kingstown is now a fashionable watering-place and a royal mail packet station. The present harbour, covering an area of 250 ac., was completed in 1859 at a cost of £825,000. The mail steamers ply from this port to and from Holyhead (64 miles distant) twice daily, in conjunction with the London and North-Western Ry.; on the E. pier-head is a revolving light 41 ft. above high water and seen 9 miles, and on W. pier-head is a fixed light 36 ft. above high water and seen 2 miles.

Preferred place name from Wikipedia

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dun Laoghaire, in and County Dublin | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/29965

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dun Laoghaire".