Mount Charles  County Donegal


In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Mount Charles like this:

MOUNT-CHARLES, a town, in the parish of INVER, barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Donegal, on the road from Donegal to Killybegs; containing 508 inhabitants. It consists of only one street, in which are 83 houses, a small market-house (in which divine service is performed every Sunday), a school-house under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, and a dispensary; it is a constabulary police station, and has a penny-post to Ardara, Donegal, and Killybegs. ...

Fairs are held on Jan. 18th, March 28th, May 10th, June 9th, Aug. 20th, Sept. 22nd, Oct. 22nd, and Nov. 18th. Near the town is the Hall, the property of the Marquess of Conyngham, but at present occupied by Col. Pratt. Mount-Charles gives the inferior titles of Earl and Viscount to the Marquess of Conyngham.

MOUNT-COIN, or MONCOIN, a village and extra-parochial place, locally in the parish of POLEROAN, barony of IVERK, county of WATERFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Waterford, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 102 houses and 495 inhabitants. In the R. C. divisions this place is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Rathkyran, Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch, in which union are three chapels; that of Mountcoin is a neat edifice.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mount Charles, in and County Donegal | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.


Date accessed: 30th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mount Charles".