Place:


Dundalk  County Louth

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dundalk like this:

Dundalk, cap. of county, seaport town, market town, par., and township, N. co. Louth, in E. of Upper Dundalk barony, on r. Castletown, near Dundalk Bay, 55 m. N. of Dublin and 58 S. of Belfast by rail -- par., 6332 ac., pop. 13,703; township and town, 1386 ac., pop. 11,913; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Mon. Dundalk is a well-built and thriving town. It carries on an active export trade with Liverpool and other ports; and by a branch line of railway to Greenore Harbour, 10 miles to the E. on Carlingford Lough, it maintains regular communication by steamer with Holyhead, the sea passage being 79 miles. The exports are grain, provisions, and live stock. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Tanning, ironfounding, flax-spinning, and shipbuilding are carried on. There is 1 distillery. There are also mfrs. of salt, soap, candles, and leather. At entrance of channel is a lighthouse, with flashing light seen 9 miles. D. returned 1 member until 1885.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dundalk, in and County Louth | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/29028

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dundalk".