Place:


Staffa  Argyll

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Staffa like this:

Staffa, an uninhabited island of the Inner Hebrides, Kilninian and Kilmore par., Argyllshire, 6 miles N. of lona, 6 miles from the nearest point of Mull, and 54 by steamer W. of Oban; is about 1½ mile in circuit, has a greatest alt. of 144 ft., and affords excellent pasture. The coast of Staffa is pierced with grand basaltic caverns, the principal of which is Fingal's Cave, 227 ft. long, 42 ft. broad at the entrance, and 66 ft. high.

Staffa through time

Staffa is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staffa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staffa in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21955

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staffa".