Place:


Grangegeeth  County Meath

 

In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Grangegeeth like this:

GRANGEGEETH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (N.) from Slane; containing 1304 inhabitants. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, entirely impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda, but it is tithe-free, from having formed part of the possessions of the abbey of Mellifont. ...


In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and Monknewtown, in each of which is a chapel. There is a national school, in which about 110 children are educated, and for which the school-house and an acre and a half of land were given by Sir J. Witchett; also a private school of about 120 children.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grangegeeth, in and County Meath | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/27990

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grangegeeth".