Place:


Ramsey Island  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsey Island like this:

RAMSEY, an island in St. Davids parish, Pembroke; flanking the N side of the entrance of St. Bride's bay. It is separated from the mainland by Ramsey sound, about a mile wide, with from 3 to 12 fathoms water, and swept by a strong tide; it measures about 2 miles from N to S, and about ½ a mile in mean breadth; it terminates, at each end, in rugged and precipitous hills, with culminating altitude of 459 feet; it includes some goodland and a productive farm; it abounds with sea-birds, particularly on its cliffs; and it formerly had two pilgrims' chapels. ...


Pop., 15. Houses, 2. Several islets and rocks are adjacent.

Ramsey Island through time

Ramsey Island is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ramsey Island itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ramsey Island in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22949

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ramsey Island ".