Place:


Oa  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Oa like this:

Oa, a headland and a quoad sacra parish in Kildalton parish, Islay island, Argyllshire. The headland, flanking the S side of Laggan Bay, 3½ miles NW of Port Ellen and 7½ S of Bowmore, overlooks the E side of the entrance of Loch Indal; has a beetling, lofty, imposing character; is crowned with the ruins of Dunaidh Castle; was originally called Keannoath; is now called the Mull of Oa; and often gives its name of Oa to much or all of the entire south-eastern peninsula of Islay. ...


The quoad sacra parish, which comprises the southern part of that peninsula, and which has for its post-town either Port Ellen or Bowmore under Greenock, was constituted first by the ecclesiastical authorities, next in 1849 by the court of teinds. It is in the presbytery of Islay and Jura and the synod of Argyll; its minister's stipend is £120, with a manse and a glebe worth £12 and £6 a year. The church was built at the expense of government in the first half of the present century. Pop. (1871) 367, (1881) 247, of whom 240 were Gaelic-speaking.

Oa through time

Oa is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oa in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21575

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oa ".